Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Listening to Sonata in B minor, music in hand?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Terry-Piano

• PS Silver Member
Listening to Sonata in B minor, music in hand?
on: October 05, 2004, 11:54:28 PM

If people still wonder why Liszt's sonata in b minor is always thought of as one of the most revolutionary and amazing piano pieces ever written... then  you should definitly put the music on... (I own 2 versions ..one by Horowitz and one by Brendel...both are different ...but both are excellent) and study the music carefuly with the scores in hand... If you still don't get it... you should change your hobby :) What an amazing work.. I'm currently working on it... I'll soon record an excerpt because this piece is long and hard to learn(36 pages ..half an hour piece)... page 2-3 are hard to get by too :P

Offline maxy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Listening to Sonata in B minor, music in hand?
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 05:42:28 AM
The sonata is THE Liszt masterpiece.  Many do not appreciate Liszt, but most do respect the sonata. (as it should be)

Well at least page 1 should not be too hard...  ;D

Offline aki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 09:13:40 AM
I love the version by Brendel, I say it's the best !

Offline pk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 10:00:12 AM
I think itīs overrated
Listen to Scriabins third instead itīs much more beautiful and stimulating to listen to.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 01:55:03 AM
I think itīs overrated

It's nice to see someone like me on this forum - I understand the Liszt sonata is a wonderous piece, but I too am getting tired of the hype over it.  There is SO much more to Liszt than that one work.  

Offline hewton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 09:40:46 AM
Yeah....there is no doubt that Sonata in B minor occupies a unique place in the history of piano music. But, I'm not sure about the "masterpiece" thing. Th weird thing about it is.......it's got a very beautiful melody in some measures, but in others it makes me somewhat irritable for some reason....uncomfortable......I guess? I don't know...maybe it's just me or something.....That's why I only play only certain parts that I like. Besides, It's quite lengthy.....I'll never have time to finish it... ;)

bet33

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 03:09:49 PM
if you guys dont understand whats so amazing about the B minor, then you guys havent stopped to analyze the score and really SEE the transformation of themes...

seems like alot of people here are not really listening, stuck on the notes and pages... and not on the actual brilliance of a work...

if you were to trace the thematic development inside the piece, you would change your mind at once in regards to its worth in the piano rep.

also, whoever mentioned scriabin, youre a moron... thats apples and donkeys...

without liszt there is no scriabin... his whole harmonic views were developed by taking mostly the compression of dominant chords... along the lines of the tristan chord (wagner), which in reality is a concept that liszt was at the forefront...

no liszt, no wagner, no scriabin...

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 04:03:20 PM
You have got to love how he uses a four part fugato on the first theme to start start off the recapitulation.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 02:57:57 AM
You have got to love how he uses a four part fugato on the first theme to start start off the recapitulation.

I admit, that part is absolutely miraculous!

Offline Terry-Piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 01:08:23 AM
I'm not saying it's THE greatest piece  in the repertoire... but I can understand many people saying so.. just following the score tells a lot... magnificent composing right there.... :P And whoever blurted out that witout Liszt there'd be no Scriabin... that is just stupid thinking...everyone has their own individuality

bet33

Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 04:49:41 PM
i "blurted" that out about scriabin...

and, if you dont understand the link between, liszt, chopin, and wagner, to scriabin... you have not informed yourself on the functional harmony inside all the composer's work... im not going to get into it...

with no liszt, scriabin's music would be extremely different...

if you care to understand why, read some on scriabin's use of tonal harmony, and the compression of all dominant functions... as well as analyzing liszt's works...

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 04:56:25 PM
A few posts including one of me and pk got deleted because pk started to flame, something along the lines of 'stupid lost kid' aimed at bet33.

Then he send me a PM saying that amateurs like us don't belong on this board.

The point of his flames was to make us listen to Scriabin. Like people that can see that the B minor sonata is great don't know Scriabin.

Just ignore him.

Offline pk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 05:33:00 PM
Hi again,
You got it all wrong
You can listen to what ever you wanna listen to.
But you seemed lost in just focusing on who was influenced by who I really dont think that is the most important thing about music.
Whenever did I say the bminor sonata wasnt great?
By the way bet33 started it by calling me a moron.
A few posts including one of me and pk got deleted because pk started to flame, something along the lines of 'stupid lost kid' aimed at bet33.

Then he send me a PM saying that amateurs like us don't belong on this board.

The point of his flames was to make us listen to Scriabin. Like people that can see that the B minor sonata is great don't know Scriabin.

Just ignore him.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 06:27:59 PM
Will you two piano nerds quit bickering?  This is supposed to be fun!  You come here, leave your opinion with support (abstract or fact, either way), get feedback, and enjoy reading other people's posts.  You shouldnt dwell on who's posts are garbage and got deleted, or who called who a stupid lost kid.  cmon, lets move on here!!
donjuan

Offline pk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 08:36:16 PM
;)You got a point there,
sorry.
 This is supposed to be fun!  You come here, leave your opinion with support (abstract or fact, either way), get feedback, and enjoy reading other people's posts. cmon, lets move on here!!
donjuan

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert