Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How Should a Newbie Adult Practice?  (Read 6480 times)

Offline PeskyTheGoat

• PS Silver Member
How Should a Newbie Adult Practice?
on: January 12, 2004, 10:47:11 PM
I'm 32 years old and started playing the Piano about a year ago.  I was wondering what people think is the most efficient way to practice.  As it is, I have a 1/2 hour lesson every week and I play about 30 minutes to 1 hour per day.  When I practice, I usually warm up with a Hanon study for a few minutes and then work on a song - my teacher gave me a book that has some simplified songs in it, like Lean on Me, Can you Feel the Love Tonight, Star Wars theme etc.  Is this the right way to do it?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Obviously I'm a late starter, but it sure is fun!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PTG

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: How Should a Newbie Adult Practice?
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 11:35:24 PM
Practice is an art. In fact one could argue that learning the piano is really learning how to practise. Once you know how to practise, you can learn to play the piano in a few weeks. Unfortunately, learning how to practise often takes a lifetime.

These should get you started:

https://members.aol.com/cc88m/PianoBook.html

https://www.practicespot.com/

Best wishes,
Bernhard
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline OlderGuy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 10:28:17 PM
Very diligently ;
  Peter
(I started at 55.)

Offline mark1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 05:28:46 PM
One bit of advice is to stay away from the harder works until you are ready. So many learning adults spend months or even years trying to get that favorite Mozart peice memorized. In the end they usually get tired of this and move on to other things...like their remote  control. Stick with the teacher and stick with the proper repertoire and you should be fine. Good luck        mark
"...just when you think you're right, you're wrong."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert