Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Less difficult piano concertos  (Read 3961 times)

Offline kim

• PS Silver Member
Less difficult piano concertos
on: October 18, 2002, 03:19:39 PM
Can anyone help me?  I am not too familiar with concerto repertoire, and I have some students who would like to enter a local competition.  Does anyone have a listing of the "easiest" piano concertos - or just single works for piano and orchestra?  I am familiar with some of the more manageable works by Mozart, so any other composers would be most helpful to me.

Thank you!
kim

Offline davy10tunes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Less difficult piano concertos
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2002, 03:34:07 PM
Hi Kim, You should have a look at the Shostakovitch 2nd and also the Bach concertos and maybe even the Warsaw Concerto by Richard Addinsell. It's more difficult than the others and it was written as film music so I don't know how that would go down at a competition but it is certainly recorded quite a lot. I think your best bet would be the Shostakovitch.

David
DAVROS

Offline stee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2002, 11:51:12 PM
Have you investigated the Haydn D major or G major?  I have had 4 students win local competitions with the D major.  It lies pretty well in a medium hand and the cadenzas by Haydn are superb.  When played up to speed, and with a few added cadenzas of your own, the concerto makes a good impression.  Good luck!

Offline RhiAnne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 07:36:41 AM
Yes,

I totally agree with the Haydn in D-major.  That was a fun concerto.  If you live in the Lubbock area, they have lists of concertos that are divided into appriopriate age groups becuase of the Anual Sonatina, Sonata, Concertino, Concerto Festival.  If you cannot obtain me, let me know, and I will e-mail you or post the list in this thread.

Have a great day and see you later.

Offline RhiAnne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 02:10:46 PM
Kim,

Here is the list that I promised you.  I went yet again to the music store.  I love those excuses that take me to the music store.  

The list is complied by the Lubbock Music Teachers Association for the Sonatina/Concerto Contest.  This is this year's contest rep.

Concertos:

Grades 4-6
   Rozin, Albert - Little Conerto [Brodt.]
   Rowley, Alex - Miniature concerto - Boosey and Hawkes

Grades 7-9
 Vandall, Robert - Concerto in G major
 Haydn - Concerto in f major, H. XVIII, F1, International Music Co. - [tHIS IS A GREAT ONE, Played it for this contest when I was younger]

Grades 10-12

Beethoven Cocerto in C-minor, No. 3

Concerto for 2004 for grades 10-12

Haydn Concerto in D

Would you believe that they had the Grieg concerto in A-minor for concerto contest my senior year?  My that was fun, very few competitors.  Made it all the more fun.

Well I hope this helps.  Have a great day and see you later.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert