Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Cold hands  (Read 1914 times)

Offline koichi

• PS Silver Member
Cold hands
on: April 22, 2005, 03:41:31 PM
Stated in Chang's book
Cold fingers of this type are clearly the body's reactions to cool temperature. Many people have found that soaking the hands in warm water helps. It might be of interest to experiment and soak the hands several times a day in very cold water to acclimate the hands to cold temperatures. Then they may not react to cold at all. This might provide a permanent solution. For example, you might cool them this way right after practice so that it does not interfere with the practice. The objective of the cooling is to get the skin acclimated to cold temperatures. Therefore, you should dip in cold water for no more than 5 to 10 seconds. You should not cool the entire hand down to the bone.

has anyone tried that before? it sounds rather logical to me but will it work?

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Re: Cold hands
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 08:24:52 PM
How cold is cold? I will definately try it, I often can't play without warming up with scales etc. because of cold fingers

Offline 00range

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 02:06:16 AM
I would think if your hands are regularly cold, you might have some mild circulatory issues.

I used to have this same problem, to an extreme point in which one morning I woke up with a back that was blue as a smurf, literally. After seeing a nutritionist, I started eating more spicy foods, and taking a daily supplement of cayenne pepper, which completely handled my problem.
'Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can *** off.'

Offline koichi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 09:21:45 AM
well, i'm just referring to normal cold hands. when u are about to go for competition and exam, and you are in a cold room, waiting for you turn, usually your hands will get cold, does chang's method helps in getting use to play with cold hands?

Offline qwerty quaver

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 10:38:12 AM
well, personally, my hands are always cold (even in summer).
I am so accustomed to it, that I cannot play for my exams or competitions without cold hands. it may seem quite strange but it gives me some sort of suppleness when I play.
if your hands get used to the cold, perhaps it may help but you in periods of stress but you should be careful about it and take precautions.

QQ
There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
- Johann Sebastian Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert