Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: beethoven piano concerto 5 Emperor adagio mosso  (Read 1471 times)

Offline clarest

beethoven piano concerto 5 Emperor adagio mosso
on: September 02, 2018, 05:03:16 PM
I'd be so grateful for views on suggested tempo (met mark, hope not dirty word!) for the 2nd movement. Even Beethoven's instruction adagio mosso seems ambiguous.

I'm working on a solo transcription of this which says 35 to the crotchet. To me that seems verging on the leaden, but others might agree with this transcriber.

Would appreciate views

thanks
Clare

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: beethoven piano concerto 5 Emperor adagio mosso
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 05:41:05 PM
would be curious to know which transcription you are on I did the Moszkowski fragment on it and I tend to feel it faster but on occasion if the mood hits me I'll pull the reigns in here my  slower interpretation if it gives you an idea of one possibility but at the end of the day , play with slower than you think it can be all true way to faster than you feel appropriate then settle in towards one or the other depending what you're feeling

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Re: beethoven piano concerto 5 Emperor adagio mosso
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:42:48 AM
Hi Clare,

To me, 35 to the crotchet seems not only verging on the leaden, but rather impossibly slow. I listened to a few recording just to check my own intuition, and the slowest I could find was around 45.

I guess visitor is right when he writes keep experimenting until you find a tempo that is right for you. I would say anything from 40 to 60 or thereabouts would be possible. What do you think yourself?

Something you will have to consider is that the sixteenth notes shouldn't feel or sound rushed.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert