Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Flight of the bumblebee  (Read 471 times)

Offline pianoguy2009

• PS Silver Member
Flight of the bumblebee
on: August 23, 2023, 01:21:39 PM
Hi, I am a pianist that passed grade 6 ABRSM and I wanted more challenge, so I started learning flight of the bumblebee, I’m getting on really well with the piece however, although I can play hands separately almost perfectly, I’m struggling to put them together, especially locating the chords on the left hand, and some other parts as well, so do you guys have any tips on how to practice flight of the bumblebee effectively?

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Flight of the bumblebee
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 02:36:55 PM
Not sure if there is any magic trick here, if you have trouble locating the chords, practice those parts, perhaps only the hand playing the chords so you can focus, until you can instantly identify all the positions and know it in your sleep.

Offline joycefoster

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 09:38:28 AM
Hi, I am a pianist that passed grade 6 ABRSM and I wanted more challenge, so I started learning flight of the bumblebee, I’m getting on really well with the piece however, although I can play hands separately almost perfectly, I’m struggling to put them together, especially locating the chords on the left hand, and some other parts as well, so do you guys have any tips on how to practice flight of the bumblebee effectively?
Hello, I am a new learner. To practice flight of the bumblebee, I often practice each hand individually to further strengthen their muscle memory and accuracy. Focus on the challenging sections of the left hand, such as the chord progressions, until I feel comfortable. Moreover, I often break the piece into smaller sections and practice hands together. You can try these methods because I think they are fairly effective

Offline pascalxus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 06:02:22 PM
I think the combining hands part should just come with a bit of practice.  Not to hard there.

From my experience with playing super fast pieces like this, I've noticed that the real difficulty doesn't present itself until you've combined the hands and begin to increase the speed little by little.  At that point, it seems to take exponential amounts of practice to make incremental speed gains.  Does anyone else have the same feeling or is it just me?

Offline ego0720

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 11:56:41 AM
Not sure if there is any magic trick here... until you can instantly identify all the positions and know it in your sleep.

Is the technique narrow wrist rotations? Or finger stamina? Some combination thereof?How does one sustain the constant trills without inducing the nerve factor?  How can the pressure remain? That song is cool but gives me nervous breakdown upon listening.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 04:01:49 PM
I think the combining hands part should just come with a bit of practice.  Not to hard there.

From my experience with playing super fast pieces like this, I've noticed that the real difficulty doesn't present itself until you've combined the hands and begin to increase the speed little by little.  At that point, it seems to take exponential amounts of practice to make incremental speed gains.  Does anyone else have the same feeling or is it just me?
Interesting. I find that for practiced, predictable patterns, 90% of the work is hands separate. For something like flight of the bumblebee,  I might practice each hand without looking -- that might be the most difficult part, and what might hold back progress.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert